Sunday, March 14, 2010

Averly’s Birth Story

Well we have been a family of four for almost a week now. I have been trying to update the blog, but every time I think I have a minute someone needs me. :0) The birth post is going to have to be divided up into 2 posts because it is already going to be the longest post ever! I’ll put the pictures up in a different post because blogger is not cooperating right now.

Sunday night my mom stayed the night with us because I wanted to go to Cracker Barrel for my last meal & TAG was going to go into work Monday morning so he could have more time off once the baby was born & I wanted someone to go eat bright & early with me. So that morning we woke up & ate breakfast, then I had a hair appointment to get my hair cut (mainly just to pass the day & keep my mind off things). TAG came home at 12 & we got everything loaded to go to the hospital. We had to be there at 2:00 so my mom stayed at our house to get Riley a nap. When we got to the hospital, my dad was waiting on us & soon after the rest of our family arrived.

I got my IV put in & told the nurse about my Hypoglycemia but I was actually feeling ok. We all sat in the Triage room waiting for 4:00 to roll around. Well 4:00 came & went. There was an emergency C-Section that had to go in before me. It was fine, but that extra hour of waiting made me extra nervous. Finally the nurse came & got me & TAG to go back to surgery. As soon as they set me in the wheelchair the tears started pouring. I had so many emotions flowing through me that all I could do was cry. We told everyone bye & off we went.

The OR was so new that it almost felt stark. As I knew I would, I began to shake uncontrollably from the nerves & freezing temperature in there. TAG waited right outside while they put my spinal in…3 times. Yep, they had to redo my spinal 3 times. The first time I did ok with it. I just took a deep breath & it was in. But not for long. The Anesthesiologist said that she couldn’t fit it in between my vertebrae correctly. So she tried it again. First the numbing “bee sting” shot, then the actual spinal catheter. And again. I was in tears with my head on the nurse’s shoulder. By the 3rd time, that was a pain like I have never felt before. Finally it was over & TAG got to come in. I was so glad to see him & just hold his hand. By this time I was laid out on the operating table & they were testing the anesthesia to make sure my spinal took. Right side first. Good to go. Then they poked on the left side of my belly & I could feel every bit of whatever that sharp utensil was they were poking me with. They made some adjustments & asked me again. Still feeling it. They tilted the operating table to the left to let it run more to that side of my body, then checked me again. Same thing. Now they tilted the head of the table down so that my feet were above my head. That finally worked. Then she asked if my fingers were tingling & they were. Another Anesthesiologist came in & he grabbed my other hand while telling TAG to make sure that I don’t lose grip of his hand. The anesthesia shouldn’t go above the waist so they wanted to make sure I wasn’t in danger. Hearing all of this scared the living daylights out of me & I was just ready to get my baby here & be done!

The surgery began & everything sounded like it was going smoothly now. Then I heard my doctor tell a nurse to get a vacuum. Get a vacuum? Why in the world would they need a vacuum? I thought that was just for vaginal deliveries. I asked what was going on & she said that the baby’s head was so far down in the birth canal that she needed to be suctioned out. Remember all that pelvic pressure I was complaining about? She was ready to come out the other way!

Finally my doctor told TAG to stand up & get a picture of his little baby girl & just a few seconds later I heard her sweet, sweet cry. I was so relieved. She was out & healthy. I still hadn’t seen her when TAG came back around the curtain & said she has a head full of black hair. I was so surprised! We were expecting her to be blond like Riley. They weighed her-6 lbs, 14.5 oz-cleaned her up & TAG brought her around to my head so I could kiss my baby girl. She was so beautiful & perfect. They finished stitching me up & got me over onto the stretcher. I was ready to hold my baby girl when they said that she is going up to the nursery to get her bath & measurements while I go to the recovery room. I did not like that. Riley came to the recovery room with me after he was born & before going to the nursery. I don’t know why it was different this time. Maybe new procedures with the new hospital…I don’t know but I prefer the other way.

By the time I finally got to hold her, everyone else had already seen her in the nursery & she already had her bath. I know it sounds selfish but I wanted TAG & I to be the first to see all of her & hold her. I think it’s ok to be a little selfish at the birth of your own child. Once I finally got to hold her, everything else went away & I was on cloud nine. TAG & I checked her out from head to toe & loved on her then we let Riley meet his little sister. He didn’t really know what to think but he was very intrigued by her.

The rest of the hospital stay was great. All of the nurses were wonderful & since we were both doing so great, they let us leave Wednesday afternoon instead of Thursday. We loaded up our perfect little baby girl to bring her home forever!

I have so much more to share as far as how we are adjusting & many, many pictures. I may be a bit behind, but I promise to get to it as soon as I can. Thank y’all again for all of your thoughts and prayers as we welcomed our baby girl into the world.



4 comments:

  1. Although things didn't go exactly as planned, it sounds like you handled everything very well! I would have reacted the same way...especially 3 tries for the spinal! Right after Jaxson was born I held him for a few seconds & Emmett held him for a few minutes until he was wheeled off to the nursery too :( Everyone ran to the nursery windows & took lots of pictures and watched everything they did while I sat in the recovery room all alone...lol..so I know EXACTLY how you feel! :) I love reading your blog so you encourage me to keep mine updated! I'm not sure if you scrapbook any, but I print off all of my blog posts and use them in Jaxson's scrapbook to tell the stories of different events...just the tip of the day..haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you handled everything perfect. I'm not so sure how I would of handled the 3 tries on the spinal! Goodness. I am so ecstatic for your family! Congrats once again and I cannot wait to see another post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ho awesome!! They did the same thing with my SIL. She had a c-section. The baby came out adn we all saw her...and then an hour later my SIL got to come out fo recovery. Made me kinda sad b.c I know how special those 1st few minutes with your baby are....BUT at least you get her for the rest of your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow girl.. I would have been nervous too especially when it took 3 tries for the spinal!!!! Sounds like everything went well though after it was all said and done! Your goanna have to tell me how it is to have a newborn and a toddler!! I have baby fever I have to wait until I'm finished with school.. but thats only about a year away..:)

    Hope you are doing great girl!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete