Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Mighty Mississippi

So unless you live under a rock, you’ve heard about the “Flood of the Century” in Memphis. I went out on my lunch break today to take some pictures. It’s crazy enough seeing these images on the news, but when you see it up close it is just unreal.

This is the view from my parking garage at work.

Picture 275 Picture 273

And down on Riverside Drive.

Picture 277Picture 280

See the brick side walk?

Picture 290

The driving ramp to the far right is normally very steep down to the riverbank for parking. Now there is no ramp.

Picture 282

This is what it normally looks like.

1.1270998199.memphis-riverboats
 Image from here.

Picture 279Picture 291

The corner of Beale Street & Riverside is under several feet of water.

Picture 295Picture 294

CNN, Fox News & other news reporters are everywhere. It’s just surreal to me.

Picture 297Picture 293

Normally you can only see the very tops of the riverboats, but now they are up even with the road.

Picture 299a

Please keep the people who’s homes are affected by this flooding in your prayers. It really is so devastating.

7 comments:

  1. That is just absolutely amazing! I haven't been down there to see any of it, but I can only imagine what it looks like! Wow! I saw that guy in the hat and boots on TV today while I was getting my nails done! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that is so crazy!! I will be praying for those that have been affected!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How devastating! It is so hard to watch the news and see all of those pictures... Still praying for everyone involved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that is in sane.. hope things get better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess - this is crazy. I lived in Memphis in 2006 while working for FedEx so I know exactly where these pictures are from.

    We have so many close friends living in Memphis as well.

    Praying for your family and your community during this devastation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree this is very devastating. I pray that it starts to go down, although I did hear that the worst was not over though. Which is so sad and very scary for so many in your area. I'll be praying!!

    ReplyDelete