Monday, October 3, 2011

Riley’s 1st Day of Preschool

Riley’s first day of preschool was Thursday, September 22nd (which is also the same night that we slept at the new house for the first time-more on that later). We had been prepping him for a week getting him excited to go meet new friends & have fun at school. He was all excited up to the night before. Then morning came. Let’s just put it this way, my kids are not morning people. I waited until about 8:00 to get him out of bed & start getting ready. The school is an all day school, but most of the preschool curriculum/activities are done from 9-2. So I wasn’t too worried about him being late. Especially on his first day. I wanted to ease him into everything since this is all brand new to him.

I finally woke him up & got him to crack a smile for a few pictures. He was excited but a little nervous acting too. He knew he was going to school but of course didn’t know what all it entailed.

It was also green shirt day at school. :0)

Picture 302a

We got his teacher a container of mints & wrote her a little note as a first day gift.

Picture 304a Picture 308a Picture 311a

Waiting to be directed to his room!

Picture 314Picture 317

Would you believe that there were no tears when we left him the first day?! From me or him! I felt myself want to tear up a few times, but never let them pour. I’m sure it was because he did so well that I did ok! As soon as I got home I turned the monitor on from my computer (they have cameras there, which I love) & saw him having fun & behaving so well. I was so proud. I was sure to watch him at lunch time because he is literally the world’s pickiest eater & will not go far out of his realm when it comes to food, so I was anxious to see if he would eat anything. You are not allowed to bring your own food unless you have food allergies, according to the state. So Riley will  either have to eat what they cook or starve. The first day they had baked ham, pinto beans, and macaroni & cheese. I watched as close as I could to see if he was eating anything but nope. He just sat there quietly as the other kids were chowing down. At this point I did cry. I know he was hungry & I just wanted to make him a peanut butter sandwich! I know he has to learn to eat other types of foods & this will probably be the best way--him seeing other kids eat. I’m really hoping it gets better though because every day when I look at his little “report card” I know he is hungry throughout the day. Also, naptime has been a little bit of an issue. At home he generally goes down for a nap around 1:30-2:00. At school, it’s 12:30. So if he even falls asleep, it is right at the end of naptime & he doesn’t get much of a nap in. I’m trying my best to move his nap up a little at a time at home, but with us in the middle of moving it is extra hard. We are always on the go, whether it be to Lowe’s or back to our other house to get another load of stuff. We are just usually gone during mid-day right now. I am so ready for things to settle down around here!

(It got honey mustard on it because we went to Sonic for an after school treat & he refused to put his paper down!) 

Picture 022

And this is what school has been doing to him at night! He completely crashes!

Picture 326

All in all preschool has been a good experience for him. He has made lots of friends & learned about bugs, he says. :0) Apparently they were studying insects last week. The drop off is the hardest time, of course. He is still crying that he doesn’t want to go & he wants to sleep in his own bed. TAG usually drops him off in the mornings & I pick him up. After he takes him I & turn on the monitor he is just fine playing with the other kids & doing what they do with no complaints.

I am so thankful we found such a great school for him with wonderful teachers & a Christian based curriculum. We really do love it there & I know Riley is in good hands.

I just can’t believe my baby boy is a preschooler!!!

5 comments:

  1. he is so cute! love the gift he gave his teacher - so creative! libbi would be the same way - she is SO picky!!! i can't believe they only serve one option. at our school the kids had to eat school lunch, but peanut butter sandwiches were offered everyday in addition to the main meal. i hate that for riley (and for you - i know i would be sick over it, too!) maybe as he starts to settle in and make new friends he'll be more inclined to try new things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a big boy!! handsome too!! it would break my heart, too, to see him not eat, but i bet after he's adjusted, he will begin to partake :) how neat they have cameras for you to watch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you found a great school for him! Hope he gets used to the meals, I'm so glad he's making friends and adjusting, you did good mom. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like he is having a blast

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you had time to post, we've missed you.

    He is such a cutie pie, so glad he had a wonderful first day at preschool!,

    ReplyDelete