Monday, January 11, 2010

Snow Day???

Wednesday of last week all the schools & churches around the area started closing & everyone made a mad dash to the grocery store & gas stations to fill up. From what it sounded like (and from what I've heard from people that live just west of us), The Great Blizzard of 2010 was coming! I made plans to stay at home & show Riley how much fun the snow would be. It only snowed once last winter & he was too little to get out in it, so technically it would be his first time to see snow.

Wednesday night was when they were calling for it all to come in & I couldn't wait to wake up Thursday with white everywhere! It was so cold last week too. We had single digit temperatures with wind chills anywhere from 0 to -5. (I know I have some Northern readers who are probably laughing right now, but it never gets that cold here! Us Southerners think we are going to freeze when it drops below 50!)

Well, Thursday when we woke up, I went to the window to check it out & it looked like dust on the ground! We got maybe 1/8 of an inch if even that! Talk about disappointing! But the schools were all still closed Thursday & Friday. I think the news said it was actually due to the cold temperatures because the roads were fine in most places.

I bundled Riley up & we played in it, what little there was, as long as we could stand the cold. We still had fun even though there wasn't much snow.

Oh, and our pipes froze! Luckily they didn't burst before we noticed. It was just the hot water in the kitchen & I discovered it when I tried to start the dishwasher. We don't have any space heaters, so I propped my hair dryer up under the sink & after about 30 minutes or so they were defrosted again. How in the world do you Northerners keep your pipes from freezing all winter?!

Picture 3740Picture 3743 Picture 3744


2 comments:

  1. All bundeled up with little snow . . how cute :) Alex just wants to eat and eat the snow. Glad you caught the pipes before they could burst! That would not have been good.

    Alex loves Sheldon . . you should hear her sing the warm kitty soft kitty song . . I don't even know how she remembers it but its super funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's about all we got...maybe a little more. I was disappointed too. Are y'all near Atlanta?
    I was nervous our pipes would freeze. Alex dripped them and the water dripping out them then froze into a gigantic icicle! The kids had more fun with that than they did the snow! :)

    ReplyDelete